Tuesday 15 July 2014

You have their permission. . . to fail

Think of someone really successful, it can be an athlete, a singer, a scientist, a celebrity, anyone really. What successful people have in common is that they failed at some point in their lives before they became successful, and they are still failing while being successful but now the difference is that they can "fail comfortably". What that means is that the failures they go through have a small impact on their legacy, since they can now take that hit, without losing their drive.

To reach that level though, you first need to succeed, right? How do you do it? I've been wondering that for a long time as well. It seems like everything points out to this. You have to fail, it is the necessary evil, the common enemy/ally of every successful person on this planet (again success can be anything, not just financial success). Remember the "Dream On" song? What is the message of the song? Dreams of course, but what's the advice it gives? Dream on and succeed? No, it actually points out to this "You have to lose to know, how to win". Ask yourself, did I notice that small line of lyrics? I hadn't for a long time, because I wasn't listening.

Truth be told, we hate to lose, we live in fear of making the wrong decision or taking risks. We are human, and fear often drives our lives. Fear no more then. Even investment bankers fail, and their job is to win, but they know they will not make the right choice the first time around, so what do they do? Diversification of investments, they invest in so many things that fail, but when they get one right all the wrong choices don't matter anymore. Of course they take calculated risks, what that means is that risk, as big as it may be, it has a percentage of reward so big it is worth taking.

Why is failing so important? What does it have to offer? A big factor is the ability to show character, to take the hit and move on, and the ability to learn from that experience and grow through it. A person that does not recognize his mistakes will never get better, at anything. It can be our job, relationships or games, you name it. Practice makes perfect, and with practice mistakes are made. We have to have the ability to see the cause and effect, to be able to conquer that fear of failure and turn it into something positive, so the next time we won't make the same mistake. Granted we might make another mistake, still though we know what not to do, keep failing in different things until we find that golden recipe of success.

I know I am just a guy writing an article, certainly not successful enough to give advice. I feel you, you are 100% right, and you should NOT take my advice just because what I write and how I write it make sense. What I can do though is to give you some more valid information and let you judge by yourself.

Jay-Z on failure:
"I've learned more from failures than success. It can be paralyzing to some -- failure and the fear of it. My first album I made was 'Reasonable Doubt,' which in small circles was considered THE album. Like a classic album. The album for that generation and the voice for people that were going through similar situations. Then my second, because of 'Reasonable Doubt' and its lack of commercial success, I tried to make these records that were bigger and would be more popular, which was a failure. Going for that success really messed up that project and set a bad tone. It was a huge learning lesson for me that if I was going to be successful I had to be successful with myself. I couldn't be successful doing what other people were doing. I had to do what I believed in and what felt real to me and true to me."
-http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/473811/jay-z-talks-excellence-failure-on-oprah-own-network
Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9reEFFwXC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxWqMQduM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkJ-ry6aSk

Articles:
http://www.businessinsider.com/successful-people-who-failed-at-first-2014-3?op=1
http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2011/09/02/learning-from-jay-zs-successes-and-failures/#

No comments:

Post a Comment